I have recently found a new reality TV series to add to my (unfortunately) growing list. I told myself I hated reality TV, but evidently I was kidding myself. I do screen my selections; I only choose those that are educational-ish in content or provide relatively wholesome entertainment.
Anyway, Sarah Palin's Alaska on TLC is my new favorite. I really can't get enough of it. Before you go chastising me for watching such garbage...hear me out. You might find that Sarah Palin is a lot more than a woman who uses the words "Joe Six Pack" and "maverick" a little too often.
Sarah's show not only follows the life and times of her and her family during the summer months in Alaska, but it also showcases various locations, recreational activities, and industries within the state. She goes halibut fishing with her daughter, mountain climbing with her husband, salmon fishing with her son, caribou hunting with her dad, and camping with just about anyone who will go with her. She's an amazing mother. Her values regarding her faith, hard work ethic, and independent living are things that I feel are essential to pass down to my children.
One of my favorite quotes from Sarah is from the episode where she takes her daughter Bristol to a shooting range. Bristol is having trouble hitting the target, so Sarah gives her the advice, "Don't retreat, just reload." This phrase hit home for me. In many facets of our lives, we often feel like giving up. This quote reminds me that life is not about quitting when I feel defeated. I must continue to press on and persevere, regardless of circumstances or how many times I am faced with challenges.
This can especially be applied to the Christians' battle against the evils of the world, and our quests to continue to spread the good news of Jesus. We are constantly persecuted, even in America, although not nearly as brutally as in other countries. I have learned not to be ashamed of my faith and to not back down when faced with adversity (which is one reason Apologetics is so important, but more on that later).
Don't be afraid to be a Christian. Yes, we are going to be persecuted. We have been told that from the beginning. So why is it such a shock to people when the media tells us that we can't say certain things, and that we have to cater to every other religion? I have talked to many Christians who, in conversation with others from the Bible Belt, are perfectly fine with stating their faith. But put them in front of an atheist or Muslim, and their bravery seems to shrink with every word. We should be thankful the only persecution that we experience is having to keep our mouths shut. There are Christians who are beaten, sometimes to death, for their faith. And I'm not talking 10 or 20 years ago. Like, yesterday. This morning. It almost kills me to think that we are sitting here complaining that it is politically incorrect to say, "Merry Christmas" when there are those that are running straight into the fire to tell people about Christ.
I know I kind of got on a soapbox, or maybe got in the pulpit, but it's (obviously) a subject I am very passionate about. I hope that maybe through reading this post, God will give you the strength to say: I am not afraid, and I will not back down. I will not retreat, I will just reload.
Thursday, December 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks, Rach :) Spencer and I have been talking a lot about this lately. He's especially adamant that people should be able to talk about their beliefs without it being socially unacceptable. I'm working on it.
ReplyDelete